Our Mission is to fight for people with depression and their families and destroy the stigma of mental illness in our communities.
- 29.3 million American adults (That’s 9.5%!) of the population are suffering from depressive disorders.
- 12.6 million of those suffering from depressive disorders are not receiving any form of treatment.
- In 2007, 8.2% of adolescents (an estimated 2.0 million youths aged 12 to 17) experienced at least one major depressive episode in the past year, and only about two fifths (38.9%) of those received treatment for depression in the past year.
- Depression is one of the most treatable illnesses: 80-90% of those suffering from depressive disorders find relief.
- Why is that? With such a high percentage of people finding relief through treatment, why are those suffering from depression and anxiety not getting the help they need and deserve?
Slaying Dragons believes there are a couple of reasons.
People don’t know about or fully understand depression and its close cousin, anxiety disorders, nor the symptoms, the devastating impact and the available treatments. More importantly, people don’t want to admit to suffering from these disorders and dealing with society’s stigma regarding mental illness. Slaying Dragons, a new not-for-profit organization, has been created to address both of these issues. Our mission is:
“to fight for people with depression and their families and destroy the stigma of mental illness in our communities”